Unable to install wix_sharp using install.cmd command

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:04 AM
I am getting error when I try to run install.cmd with Administrative privileges.

'cscs' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Please help me how to solve this error.I am new to wix sharp.
Dec 10, 2016 at 1:19 PM
Edited Dec 10, 2016 at 1:19 PM
The best to start with is to have a look at Wix# product documentation https://github.com/oleg-shilo/wixsharp. Wiki there has a few step-by-step tutorials.

As for your problem, cscs.exe is distributed along with install.cmd thus the only explanation I can come up with is that somehow you didn't extract the all files correctly.

Though, the only action that install.cmd does is setting up the environment variables. Open the file in Notepad and you will understand what it does and you will be able to do the failing step manually. But... something tells me that you may be better off with NuGet package and the VS templates as it is described on Wiki.

You can use GitHub (current project hosting) for further discussions/questions.
Dec 10, 2016 at 2:32 PM
I want to build a 2 page WPF UI Setup and using WixBootstrapper_UI for starting point.
When I build the project ,MSI file is not created with new UI.

I create 2 Environment variables,One is WIXSHARP_WIXDIR points to WIX_bin/bin and other is WIXSHARP_DIR points to Main WIX folder.
I will be very grateful to you.
Dec 12, 2016 at 12:12 PM
Envvars are truly optional. The are only needed to assist compiler with finding WiX compilation tools. However it is capable of finding them even without these variables. You can either:
  • Set special environment vars pointing to the WiX location (this is what you've done).
  • Install WiX and Wix# compiler will find it at run time.
  • Alternatively set as the first statement in your code Compiler.WixLocation=@"some path". WixLocation XML documentation has a detailed description of what this path should be.
> When I build the project ,MSI file is not created with new UI.
Bootstrapper doesn't create an MSI file but exe. Typically it is setup.exe Keep in mind that the WixBootstrapper_UI doesn't have build events setup so after building the VS project you need to run it. When you do WixBootstrapper_UI.exe invokes WiX compilers and builds setup.exe in the same Debug/Release directory where WixBootstrapper_UI.exe is.