Is Wix# suitable for "larger" installations

Jul 23, 2016 at 8:08 AM
Hi,

we are installing about 2500 files.
About 55 COM registrations and a few regasm ones.

Currently we use InstallShield, however I am wondering if Wix# would be suitable for an installation with that many files.
Are there some best practices on how to handle that much files?
I am asking because we kinda want to have more advanced UI ( EmbeddedUI ) and I found Wix# during my searches and now I am thinking about switching the whole project.

Regards
Jul 23, 2016 at 10:23 AM
I think the following information/points can help.

Both Wix#/WiX and InstallShield provide an interface for authoring MSI setups. The final result is the same regardless what authoring framework you are using. And both of them are suitable for COM installations. The major difference comes to the user/developer experience.

InstallShield, being wizard based, is more suitable with people with little or no programming experience. It is expensive. InstallShield is also a close system with very little flexibility.

WiX on the other hand is a programming interface so it does require some understanding of the major software development concepts. But it's free and extremely flexible. Certain 'sharp edges' of WiX are leveraged by Wix# via the power of C#.

Thus it all comes down to the level of programming experience the setup developer has.