Running during Installation embeded Ressources and some another Problems

Jun 24, 2016 at 6:12 AM
Is there some possibility to install SQL Server 2014 Express ? I tried start Exe as embedded Ressource, but nothing happen. I see windows insaller als process, but after few seconds, Windows Isntaller Process ends.
Actually i hava some more Problems. I need to create a Weblincense with Connection to MySqlDB, but MySql throw FileNotFound Exception.
Can some one help with it ?
Coordinator
Jun 25, 2016 at 11:36 AM
MSI doesn't allow starting another MSI installation while there is another one in progress.

You will need to use a bootstrapper. See the WixBootstrapper sample in the downloadables.
Jun 27, 2016 at 6:24 AM
thanks for explanation. I will try install SQL Server Express as bundle like in Bootstrapper Description. Another Question, is there some posibility to drop or uninstall SQL Database if my Product should be uninstalled in Add/Remove in Control Application ?
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2016 at 6:57 AM
If I am not mistaken it is a default behavior of the Burn bundle (bootstrapper). All items are installed/uninstalled together.
If any doubts you can always take a WixButstrapper sample and experiment with it.

You may also be interested in setting Vital = true as you most likely will want to abort the installation of the remaining bundle items if SQL Server installation fails.
Jun 28, 2016 at 7:58 AM
thanks for help. I dont know if i really can do in this way. Following Problem is that SQL Database will create during Installation of myProduct on SQL Server from Settings, which was set from User. At this time i dont have SQL Database or any References to SQL Database. SQL Database will create from embedded .sql files. Is there some Possibility say like in Uninstall Dialog - Drop/Uninstall SQL Database with myProduct together ?
Coordinator
Jun 29, 2016 at 4:34 AM
What you are having here is a typical deployment challenge.

I always insist that the whole MSI approach is enormously over-engineered and over promoted by MS. They even abandoned this technology today. You wouldn't have any problems if you just deploy install only the files and do the rest (configuration and db management) from a dedicated utility or a product app itself. This way you are not only having the all power of a proper programming language that MSI cannot even compare with but you also gain an ultimate flexibility.

Imagine this. You install your app and all dependencies. On your app very first startup it detects that the environment is not prepared yet and it launches your config utility (or itself in a special mode), which in turn creates/attaches databases, updates registries, create config files... You can also start this config utility at any time to restore or archive the DB etc. This way your app will also automatically adjust the environment for a new user in the future, something that is hard to do upfront.

This is in fact the strategy that MS currently promotes and requires if you want to certify you product officially for Windows. But too late. So many of us already used to do everything from the msi, simply because it's possible.

Anyway, these are just some thoughts... :)