Please move to Github

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:05 AM
...before this site destroys everything you've made. I don't know about you but Codeplex has just been getting steadily worse to use in recent times.
Jan 14, 2016 at 11:53 PM
Edited Jan 14, 2016 at 11:53 PM
Why? No, really?

Don't get me wrong, I see this mass move to Github. Even Microsoft does it for some projects. But I am failing to see why. Am I missing something?

I actually feel that most likely this is what I will need to do (move) eventually but I am just trying to see what are the real advantages. So far I only hear that it is better because it is Git. But all my CodePlex project are under Git, so it must be something else.

Is my work here being slowly damaged and I just do not see it? Or may be the users are putting up with too much inconvenience and I am just not aware about it?

Will appreciate your feedback.
Jan 15, 2016 at 12:30 AM
Codeplex feels a lot like abandonware. I get all sorts of errors pulling with Hg and almost zero success trying to get SVN out of it. Most of the time it can't even keep me logged in. :/ The only way I got SVN to work was on an Azure VM in US West (very close to, or even the same datacenter) and even that doesn't work any more.

See https://codeplex.codeplex.com/workitem/list/basic?field=CreationDate&direction=Descending&issuesToDisplay=All&keywords=clone&emailSubscribedItemsOnly=false

Maybe it's just my experience but in Australia even with a 110mbs connection on Telstra I get all sorts of problems I don't get with Github, BitBucket etc. Both of those are much nicer to use (Issues, wikis, markdown etc. Also, as much as it sounds lame, everybody else went there, it's the industry standard now. Their Visual Studio extension pretty-much secured that for them amongst the .NET world.

At least Google had the decency to be honest about Google Code and that actually worked.

Just my ranty opinion.

cheers
Ewen
Jan 15, 2016 at 12:46 AM
I hear your :)

Though I have never experienced any problems with CodePlex's Git. Neither with Telstra nor with Optus. Yes I am from Melbourne. :) Thus I guess all these problem are only with their SVN and Hg (though now CodePlex doesn't even recommend using Hg). Thus for me it's not a problem as I am only using their Git.

>...much nicer to use (Issues, wikis, markdown etc...
This is what I wanted to hear. At the first look wiki and issues looked very similar and I wanted to hear from someone who used it. Though I like CodePlex releases support better.

>Also, as much as it sounds lame, everybody else went there,...
This is in fact something that one cannot ignore. Yes, as much as it sounds lame.

I will seriously consider the move.

Thank you.