Registry Keys (with no values)

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:12 AM
I have a need to create just a registry key - with no values underneath it. I don't seem to be able to do this with the current software.

I'm happy to make the change myself (create a new 'RegKey' WixEntity) but I'm new to Wix# and not exactly sure what the process is from here.

I've cloned and made changes which seem to work. But the master I've pulled down has tests that break on my local machine. How do I find out whether that's just my machine or a problem with the tests right now? (is there a build server somewhere running these builds?)

I also note in the developer documentation that Xml generation code should be moved from the Compiler to the WixEntity. Would my pull request be failed if I submitted code that was based on the old way (re-using/copying the RegValue code).

thanks
Jan 19, 2016 at 1:10 AM
> How do I find out whether that's just my machine or a problem with the tests right now?
If you suspect that there something specific about your PC the probably the best way to do the test on another PC. In most of the cases the evaluating the test error nature will give you a good idea about the nature of the failure. If you give me the name of your fork I can have a look at your test failure.

> I also note in the developer documentation that Xml generation code should be moved from the Compiler to the WixEntity.
Yes it is a guideline. Though in your case you will be already reusing the existing RegValue infrastructure so you are fine.
Jan 25, 2016 at 9:31 AM
Thanks for this information.

I've discovered that an empty registry key can be created using the existing code by setting the name and value of the RegValue to be string.Empty.

So I don't think it's worth pursuing my plan further - as it would clutter up the existing code with a different way to achieve the same result?