.Net 4.6 breaks external UI installer

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:41 PM
In case this helps anyone else, .Net 4.6 will cause the external UI variant of an installer to fail. It is possible to mostly fix this by using a Debug build of the WixSharp.Msi DLL.

It looks like this module may be affected by a .Net 4.6 JIT issue. Looks like .Net 4.6 may be hazardous to your health.

On Windows 10 there is a restart issue after an uninstall. This too appears to be related to .Net 4.6 problems.
Sep 19, 2015 at 12:28 PM
Thank you. I have provided the link to your post in the relevant Wiki page: https://wixsharp.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Deployment%20scenarios#_clrcompatibility
Nov 12, 2015 at 10:34 AM
Edited Nov 12, 2015 at 10:49 AM
Can I just ask what you mean by "breaks external UI installer"? I am going round in circles trying to get an MSI with a managed UI and custom dialog to show when using a bootstrapper: If I use a standard bootstrapper I get just the bootstrapper UI (no use to me) and if I use the silent bootstrapper I get nothing. I am using DisplayInternalUI = true to no avail, and we do have 4.6 installed as we are using V2015. Is this what you are talking about, or am I encountering something else? The documentation isn't providing a lot of help as it tends to only deal with isolated, granular examples that do not seem to stack well.

EDIT: Wondering if I'm encountering the problem discussed in this Wix Toolset feature request

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:05 PM
>Can I just ask what you mean by "breaks external UI installer"?

The author of the initial post only indicated that it was a CLR compatibility issue but no further details are available. Given that later releases delivered fixes for the actual compatibility defects I assume this issue is solved. At least until I have further reports indicating otherwise.

However your problem is completely different and not related to CLR compatibility at all. It was in fact already reported a few times. Unfortunately it is a Burn defect and I am really limited with what I can offer you as a solution. The problem actually logged as defect on WiX issue tracker (issues#4918). It was asknowledged by the WiX team and eventually ended up being a feature request (feature#4921). The current status is "Needs research and a WIP"

I captured the all important points related to this matter in this discussion: https://wixsharp.codeplex.com/discussions/645838

I hope it helps. Or at least explains.