Depedent DLL

May 15, 2015 at 3:21 PM
In my setup, there is a requirement to install a license file into a license store. The function depends on a number of dll which are installed during the setup.

My questions are:

1/ is the dll available during elevated custom action, that is, do I have to explicitly tell wix to load those dll into a temp location
2/ All the files in the installdir are not visible until the setup is finished. How does one go about loading a license file during custom action.

Thanks.
Coordinator
May 16, 2015 at 6:51 AM
Edited May 16, 2015 at 6:52 AM
The 'WinService_InstallUtil' shows how to access installed files at the end of installation while being elevated. This is what you are looking for.

However, managing licences is a typical configuration task and as such it should not be coupled with any deployment action. The actual licence activation itself should be implemented outside of MSI. The typical solution for your scenario is to start a "Licence Activation/Management" app at the end of the deployment.
May 18, 2015 at 11:21 PM
What I am trying to do is run the installutil that is supposed to execute the install Class in my exe.

I tried to use
            new InstalledFileAction("TEST.exe", "", Return.check, When.After, Step.InstallFinalize, Condition.NOT_Installed), 
but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. It actually tried to load the app instead of just running the install class and exit. If I use the installutil.exe, it does.

Thanks.
Coordinator
May 19, 2015 at 12:55 AM
Your struggle is a typical reason why this sort of activity should be implemented outside of the installer. You have a problem and nothing you can do about it but just brain-storm it. :(

You cannot debug. You cannot even adequately collect the information about the problem. MSI runtime is just not very suitable for this.

Have you tried the 'WinService_InstallUtil' approach I suggested? You can freely debug it as opposite to the 'InstalledFileAction' approach.