WixSharp.File and System.IO.File, WixSharp.Assembly and System.Reflection.Assembly naming convention

May 2, 2015 at 1:36 PM
There is a thing which bothers me a bit. WixSharp.File class.

When I need to use WixSharp.File & System.IO.File types in the same code block I need to use full names of both types or use following trick:
using System.IO;
using WixSharp;
using WixFile = WixSharp.File;
using File = System.IO.File;
This way I can use File declaration as System.IO.File and WixFile declaration as WixSharp.File.

But then if I need to copy and paste my code to another project - it asks me to resolve declarations. And I can't just cope and paste. I need to make additional code and paste of my workaround with "using". More than one - when I need to share my code with another developer - they need to have this workaround to. But they can have another workaround with different namings of mentioned types.

So I would like to discuss renaming of WixSharp.File class. I propose WixFile.

There is another type named WixSharp.Assembly and crossed with System.Reflection.Assembly.

Yes, we can use the same workaround but I think it's not a good idea. I propose WixAssembly name instead of WixSharp.Assembly.

I think both propositions are not redundant in names and more clear for code-reading.

Dear community, please let me know your feedback.
Coordinator
May 2, 2015 at 2:05 PM
I fully support the request.
I am not so crazy WixSharp.WixFile. Particularly because it was already commented by users as to "noisy" (at early stage of Wix# development). And also it will be a bit inconsistent with the rest of the Wix# types. However I am completely opened for suggestions.

Just some other ideas:
WixSharp.WixFile -> WixSharp.WFile
WixSharp.WixAssembly -> WixSharp.WAssembly
May 2, 2015 at 8:48 PM
May be it sounds "noisy" in case of using with full name declaration.

In another case: WixFile, WixAssembly - clear and intuitive.

WFile, WAssembly - not so intuitive on my mind.

Dear community, please send us your feedback and ideas!