third part dll

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:52 AM
Hi folks,

The requirements concerning my installer project have been changed. So I have to rebuild the structure of my project folder. I have now four asseblies in separate sub projects. Three (wix sharp)projects serve for building individual msi. Moreover I have now a class library that contains helpful classes including functions I use in some others asseblies. In spite of the fact that I refered the project a exeption error have been appeared.

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: ... ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: ... InstallTools.dll ...

Therefore I modified the class library to contain a Wix Extension Class (concerning to http://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/wixdev/extensions/extension_development_simple_example.html"). All the other classes inside the library use this class as a base class. The elementary construktor is private. Could it be a problem? Finaly, I have added a reference to the "wix sharp"-projects: project.WixExtensions.Add(@"Folder\InstallTools.dll"). Unfortunately, it doesn't helps. Frown | :( How can I work with separate asseblies concerning to building msi with wix sharp?

Cheers!
Olga
Coordinator
Apr 30, 2015 at 5:33 AM
It is hard to understand what is going on there by having your description only.
but it may be much easier for you to troubleshoot if you execute Compiler.BuildMsiCmd. This way you will see (in the produced batch file) how your extension assembly is passed into candle/light and what may be a problem. Though I don't see any reason why you need to create an extension if you can do the same (managed CA) directly in your build script. See the whole set of "DTF (ManagedCA)" samples.